- 1/4 cup Large capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 Large egg
- 3 or more??? Garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Anchovy paste
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese grated
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce torn bite-size pieces
The ultimate Vortex…..works every time. This Caesar takes on a capery twist.
What makes this so good? It is all about the dressing and the croutons. The key dressing ingredients are garlic, egg, Parmesan cheese, lemon and oil. Here the roasted capers replace the crouton.
This recipe is from the Tribune by Diane Rossen Worthington (TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES)
The dressing may be prepared 8 hours ahead, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving. If serving to pregnant vortex followers make sure the egg is cooked thoroughly.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 246 calories, 77% of calories from fat, 22 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 42 mg cholesterol, 9 g carbohydrates, 6 g protein, 277 mg sodium, 5 g fiber.
- 1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place the capers and 1 tsp oil in a small heavy roasting pan.
- Roast, turning a few times, until crispy, about 18-20 minutes
- Watch carefully toward the end. Remove from the oven; reserve.
2. Meanwhile, immerse the egg in a small saucepan of boiling water.
- Remove the pan from the heat; allow to sit covered, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the egg from water; allow to cool, 10 minutes.
3. Mince the garlic in a food processor.
- Add the lemon juice, anchovy paste yo taste and pepper; process to combine.
- Spoon in the egg; pulse until combined.
- With motor running, add 1/2 cup oil until emulsified.
- Pulse in 1/4 of cheese. Taste for seasoning.
4. Combine the lettuce and capers with the dressing in a large bowl; toss.
- Add the remaining cup of cheese; toss.